of the Hotel:
hotel was built in the 30's and named Hotel Cala San Vicente. It
became the first hotel in Cala San Vicenç and a pioneer in tourism
on the island. During the 60's it was enlarged and was given an official
three star rating with 48 rooms.
1974, Llorenç Suau acquired the hotel and from this time onwards,
even with the simple installations in accordance with a three star establishment,
the hotel began to be recognised for the quality of services offered and
its personal touches. In 1989 it was awarded "Best Small Hotel of
the Year" by Hogg Robinson Travel.
1990 an unused lounge was converted into an Italian restaurant which, within
a very few months, became one of the most popular in the area. Animated
by this success, the old dining room of the hotel, in which only a menu
for clients on half-board was served, was refurbished and converted into
the Restaurant Cavall Bernat, opening to the public in April 1992.
then on, the intention has been to make this Restaurant the gastronomic
reference of the area, offering creative dishes based on local produce.
was between October 15th and April 1st, 1996 when the hotel suffered a
definitive transformation converting into what it is today. Apart
from the two restaurants the whole building was gutted and rebuilt.
All interior and exterior installations were renewed. The conversion
from 48 to 38 rooms allowed for the rooms to be larger and more comfortable
and for an undistinctive building to be given a beautiful Mediterranean
the winter of 1999 and 2000 both the restaurants have undergone a new refurbishment
and are now showing a modern and minimalist design. In the Cavall
Bernat the guests can furthermore admire the art of one of Mallorca's most
famous artists: Joan Bennasar.
November 1997, the Balearic Tourism Department awarded the hotel with the
Plaque in recognition of an example of pioneering initiative towards quality
tourism on Majorca.
the 1st December 1997, the Hotel Cala San Vicenç became part of
the prestigious Relais & Chateaux organisation during the annual
congress held in Bordeaux.
1998 the British Tour Operator Thomson, honoured the Hotel Cala San Vicenç
with their "Gold Medal Award".
of Spain named the hotel "Best Resort Hotel" in 1999.
Year 2000 brought the award of "T of Tecnoturistica" for Best Tourism
Firm of the Balearic Islands, from the local government, through the
tourist board which was given by the Commerce of Industry.
Suau, born in 1939, qualified as Director of Tourists Businesses and
Hotelier since 1966.
Suau, born in 1946, dedicated house wife until 1995 when she took the
responsibility of the decoration and house keeping of the new Hotel Cala
Suau, eldest son, born in 1967, qualified in Business Studies, joined
the family business in 1986.
Suau, second son, born in 1968, qualified in Hotel and Tourism
by the Centre International de Glion, Switzerland, joined the firm in 1990.
del Mar Suau, youngest daughter, born in 1974, qualified in Business
Studies by the European Business School, London. Joined the business
Clemens, son in law, has joined the family business this season to
substitute his wife, Maria del Mar, who is about to give birth to their
first child. Helmut has studied hotel management in Switzerland and
has worked in Hotels such as the Claridge's in London, the Ritz in Paris,
Madison Resort (Four Seasons) in Uruguay and La Residencia on Mallorca.