Osborne Bull of Spain - 50th Anniversary
to Travel Articles
driving around Spain and there on the hill in the distance you see a huge
silhouette of a black bull…impressive and nameless, but what exactly are
they doing there.
The bulls first appeared
in 1957 and were commissioned by the Osborne sherry company of Jerez (Sherry),
however back in those days the name of this famous sherry was also attached
to the bull, until a law was passed in 1994 banning this type of roadside
advertising, so the name disappeared. And although there were protests
at the time for the bulls to be completely removed, however by now the
bulls where nationally renowned and due to the public response the official
order to remove the bulls was lifted as long as they where completely blackened
out and all references to the original advertisement were removed. It was
the courts that eventually allowed these signs to remain on the grounds
that it has become a part of the landscape where it is present and its
"aesthetic or cultural significance" thus turning it into a figure of public
domain and now as we know became a national treasure.
The bulls are some 14 meters
in height, although the design was much smaller during its early appearances.
There are now only two signs
in Spain with the word "Osborne" still written on them. One is at the Jerez
Osborne winery and the other in the Puerto de Santa Maria, where the main
Osborne headquarters are situated.
About the Author: Gary